Rebel Belle Review

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1371650817l/8475505.jpg

I don't know whats been going on the last couple of days but I have completely gotten out of the reading slump I was in and jumped right back into reading. *cue reunited and it feels so good*
There's nothing better than feeling fully refreshed and energized to pick something new up. And that's exactly what I've been up to. A couple of nights ago (or days? guilty of staying up until 4AM) I finished Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. Now I wish I could day I don't judge books based on their covers, but who am I kidding? I completely do that. Nice covers entice me, they pull my eyes their way screaming *LOOK AT ME* So, when I glanced at Rebel Belle, the cover did nothing for me. But I had heard such good things about it that I thought why not? I needed a fluffy read to get back into things, and that's exactly what it did.



(This is the part where I insert part of what I wrote on my Goodreads Review because I feel as though it was a very nice and concise summary. Feel free to chuckle now and then) Harper is the golden girl of her high school and basically the small town in Alabama she resides in. She's an overactive overachiever whose ultimate mission is to come out on top of everything. From head cheerleader to being on SGA, and the forerunner for valedictorian nothing is standing in Harper's way for a bright future. Until that one homecoming night where she inevitably gets kissed by the janitor and gets freakishly superhuman powers that instantly transform her into a stealthy ninja. Yeah that happened. Along with her apparently having to protect someone, someone she has no clue as to who it could be or why for that matter. Trying to take her powers "one day at a time" Harper has to now balance her schoolwork, extracurricular activities, family, boyfriend and possy of friends along with her sudden unexplainable abilities to ground kick and karate chop anything threatening. Talk about spidey senses. 

This book was sassy, witty and extremely entertaining. I loved how the roles were switched and Harper, a girl, finds herself as this great, empowered warrior ready to kick butt at the next possible moment. The setting was also adorable; I can't describe it any other way, as it takes place in a small town in Alabama where everyone knows each other since they were in diapers. I can almost see it as being portrayed as the town Bluebell from the TV show Hart of Dixie on The CW. The plot line was original as I've never come across the supernatural world/people that Rachel Hawkins creates. Most importantly I think Rebel Belle is just a light-hearted read that sweeps you away and gives you a few laughs here and there. I would definitely recommend checking this book out next if you're in the mood for something fun to read! Let me know if you've picked this up or plan on it :)

*Life note: I start school again tomorrow, not sure if anyone else has already started or starts soon, but I hope everyone has a great semester! 
 -Alex

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

what are you looking for?