Being a College Student

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

I'm trying to be more consistent on here (aka not disappear), and also expand my horizon on my posts. That is why I wanted to talk about being a college student. I know there are probably a lot of people out there who have been in my situation (perhaps recently), or that are currently still in school. I'm a senior graduating in May, so this will be my last semester. And this has been a long time coming, trust me!


I did not do the typical 4-year degree, nor did I do the 3-year program, instead I'm part of the select and special 5-year group. I have indeed taken the long and tedious route, and it has been a marathon not a sprint. It's crazy to look back but I can clearly remember the very first day that my parents dropped me off, and now seeing where I am and how much things change I'm in awe. Time really does fly and still find myself grappling with that fact. 


I have always been very dedicated about school, that one girl who cried if I got anything lower than an A. But transitioning into college was completely different than what I had been accustomed to in middle and high school. Jumping into classes and realizing how much studying I would have to put in, kind of disoriented me. I would say that I began my first 2 years, right and steady, trying to pick the "right" major and still discovering all the things I had at my disposable; for example, organizations to join, people to meet, things to do. I wanted to do it all. But picking a major was always really difficult for me. I just couldn't seem to choose one that I thought was "good" enough- something that was going to set me up for both happiness and stability. I was looking for a career that I could see myself doing for the rest of my life and never regret picking; at least those are the only things I ever thought about when trying to decide. 

It honestly was not until this past year, that I definitively settled on something. It's definitely out there, and when I tell people they look at me like I'm crazy, but I've gotten used to it. My official major is English Literature with a minor in Biology. I have taken about all the science classes you can name, with exceptions of a few, because for a while there I was gun-ho about medical school. My mind has changed since then, because I decided to be honest and truthful with myself about things I passionately enjoy and wouldn't mind doing everyday. You know that saying that you should wake up each day doing something you love? Well, I was waking up each day dreading what was to come and looking forward to the end of the day when I could sleep.


I think the whole picking a major process and all the "mile stones" and requirements that come with one, are ridiculous. They cause more stress and bring about more tension and unnecessary emotions in your life. Trust me, this whole college thing isn't easy. You will go through highs, some very good ones, but some really bad lows. I have been there and experienced a lot of it. I wish the college I go to offered more "liberal" degrees, and accommodating programs for the interests each person has. Instead of cornering you into one set thing. Also, I would love if the misconceptions on what majors or minors "go with each other" could be thrown out the window. I am a girl who loves her books and writing, but am still fascinated by science and computer things. The fact that one doesn't compliment the other is nonsense in my opinion. 

I'm really happy to be graduating but also really scared. I'm about to stop doing something that I've been accustomed to for the last 5 years. Weirdly enough I'm not necessarily nervous about leaving this school environment, but I am skeptical about what next thing I'm going to jump into. I'm still thinking about that. Let me know what your college experience was/is like. What's your major? What was your path like? Hang in there, we're half-way through the week! 
-Alex

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

what are you looking for?