A Million Suns Review

Sunday, July 13, 2014

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1330214586l/10345927.jpg

Well, another day passed means another book read. I finished reading A Million Suns yesterday and like I said in my Goodreads review I was left with mixed feelings. I thought it was a really sequel to Across the Universe but all the build-up and character building was still missing something for me. I really enjoyed all the social and psychological aspects that life on board the Godspeed brought, because as I was reading I could envision the same situations arising and causing a disturbance. But, I thought a lot of the plot line was focused in on that, that sometimes I forgot our two main protagonists were the main focus of the book as well. In regards to Amy and Elder, there relationship was expanded upon but for two people that are on the cover and are seen as being intimate or "close" they spend a lot of time away from each other.

It has been 3 months since the first book, but you still get a sense that they have seen and spent time with each other in learning more about leading the Godspeed but there's still an awkward tension around them. Even towards the end of the book, when their relationship changed a bit, I was left not fully convinced or satisfied. In addition to that, there were many things that were previously mentioned about the Godspeed and life on it that didn't add up for the ending. And the big secret that we discover in this second novel, kept getting pushed back further and further until I found myself just getting over all the minor issues in the storyline to finally see what the big deal is all about. And once I did get to that part, I was left in hmmmm'ing and still not fully convinced once again.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one with these small issues, or if I'm being too technical and judgmental. But hey, I'm juts being honest. I still enjoy this series a lot and I will be finishing the last book to see how everything ends off. I'm disappointed only because I thought I was going to enjoy it so much more and be on the edge of my seat as I read every page, but I wasn't all that much. All the science fiction involved was spot on and that is my favorite thing about this series- I completely get sucked in to the world that was built and can definitely imagine everything inside my head. I gave A Million Suns a 4/5 on Goodreads and I'll be anticipating what happens in the last book with Amy, Elder and the frozens.
-Alex

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

what are you looking for?