Throne of Glass Review

Sunday, July 06, 2014

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/Throne_of_Glass_UK.jpg

Feels like it's been a while since I last wrote on here, but I have been reading, it's just I've been starting and stopping certain books. So, I can't discuss them if I don't finish them! I've been busy packing my things since I'm in the middle of a move, but I'm on a mini-break once again and finally finished one amazing book- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.

I actually learned about this novel through Goodreads and a Booktuber and when I saw it at the library I picked it up. Which thinking back now, I should have picked up the second novel while I was at it. I started this book yesterday and stayed up till 2AM reading, until just now when I put it down...and I loved it! It had everything I was looking for to get right back into reading, which was lots of fantasy, adventure, action, and a whole lot of witty remarks from the lead female character.

Now, if you don't know but want to know what Throne of Glass is about then keep on reading. The main character, Celaena Sardothien, is a skillful and dangerous assassin, referred to as "Adarlan's Assassin;" many know of her but what they don't know is that she's only an 18-year old girl trained from a very young age to kill. The story begins with her in a sort of slave camp in a region called, Endovier, where she's worked in the salt mines for a year now, broken down day by day through whippings and grueling work. One day instead of being whisked away to the mines she's taken by the Captain of the Guard, Chaol, to see the Crown Prince where he gives her a proposition- participate in a competition to be his father's (King Adarlan) champion where she will earn her freedom after four years of servitude or continue being enslaved in Endovier. The only catch being that she will have to compete with 22 other assassins and trained soldiers, undergoing "tests" until the final two are left to fight for the coveted prize of "champion." Jumping at the chance to secure her freedom, Celaena takes Prince Dorian's offer and travels to the castle, one made entirely of glass, where her trial will soon begin.

The world that Maas creates is full of details and life, so readers truly get a sense of what life at the castle is like and how it's laid out. You learn early on that magic has been completely exiled by King Adarlan and that he has personally defeated all other royalty and governing territories around him to claim whatever area he can as belonging to him and his family only. Magic and sorcery existed when the world of Erilea first came to be, dominated by fairies called Fae, but since King Adarlan came to rule all magical creatures and sources of power have fled into the woods or disappeared. With the king's reigning over most of Erilea, books, museums, priestesses, and basically anyone or anything relating to magic has been killed, destroyed or imprisoned in slave camps to wipe out any possible source or outlet to this mysticism.

Celaena soon learns that the competition she agrees to isn't going to be as easy as she initially thought, especially since other competitors mysteriously begin showing up dead in horrible ways throughout the castle days before a test is given out. As you continue reading you learn more about Celaena's upbringing into her "career" as an assassin, her treatment in the slave camp and potential magic lurking in the castle walls. I loved that I really became so immersed in Erilea and Celaena's character; Maas gives readers extensive story lines and background information (but not too much!) to go with the story and really grasp what this world is all about. I got a little lost sometimes in the beginning history with the Fae and the first queen and king of Erilea but after a while you get the gist of it all.

I won't be writing any spoilers or going too much into detail as I really thought it was a great read. The plot was simple and to the point, but you really fell for the characters, especially Celaena. I would describe this as a hyrbid of Hunger Games and Game of Thrones, sounds weird, but I saw the connections in my head as I was reading. I'm planning on going to the library tomorrow to get my hands on the second book (don't worry I won't finish this series quickly, as it's part of a 6 book series). If you're in the mood for some great fantasy I would recommend this! 

http://sjmaas.livejournal.com/411955.html

*I also came across Sarah J. Maas' website that her publisher will be holding a Throne of Glass readalong this summer from July 14-August 11. So if you're thinking about getting into this series, then now's the time! I've already started the first book so I'm on to Crown of Midnight next. If you've read any of the books or want to begin, let me know! I gave Throne of Glass a 4.5/5 on Goodreads.

-Alex

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

what are you looking for?