Maybe Someday Review

Monday, October 20, 2014


I've had this blog post on draft since Friday because I was busy reading another book (Shadow Kiss, the third book in the Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Reade) and there was a football game on Saturday for my university. I wanted to post this right away but I wasn't able to until today, it's crazy how time flies! Now, I know I said New Adult wasn't my thing, but honestly this book was so good that I couldn't put it down! I'm sure many of you have probably already heard of this or already read it, but I wasn't expecting to like it so much. As you can see above the next book I've finished is Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover, and it definitely managed to live up to the hype. Like I said in my Goodreads Review it had me frustrated, nervous, angry, heartbroken, and absolutely in love with all the characters. All the feels.

Maybe Someday centers around Sydney, who has recently found out that her boyfriend, Hunter, of two years has been cheating on her with her best friend, Tori, a.k.a. her roommate as well- talk about awkward. Luckily, the guy Sydney's been staring at for the past couple of weeks from across her balcony comes to her rescue; Ridge not only offers Sydney a place to live, at no cost, but he also opens up her world to lyric writing, music and a new chance at love. Only thing is that, Ridge has been in a serious relationship for the past couple of years, with what it seems is the perfect girl- Maggie. When both Sydney and Ridge find themselves falling for one another, it seems as though life is playing a cruel joke. Switching between Ridge and Sydney as dual narrators, you get an inside look into what each one is struggling through to keep their emotions in line and what choices they will have to make to not only hurt one another but the people they love.



As you can see, there are some really heavy topics involved, especially the main overarching one on cheating- which I did find myself uncomfortable with at some points. There were so many times when I was just screaming at the characters to stop, stop, STOP what they were doing and backtrack- think logically! But when it comes to love, it's much easier said than done. What I liked about this book is that for being New Adult, I could connect with it; sure there was some juvenile writing in it, but not completely that it felt lacking or a struggle to get through. It touched on topics that I have found discussing myself with friends and overlaps with stories that others have related to me during my time at university. At first, I had a bit of a hard time really getting into the story because the characters explained themselves for every little thing. It got to be tedious, but it felt right when I looked back at the story as a whole as I was able to get a better grasp of the character's situation and how much of an emotional struggle they were going through.

Something that adds more to the book is an accompanying soundtrack.* I had never really "experienced" listening to songs that matched with what I was reading in a book before, nevertheless songs that were specifically created for a book, so I wasn't sure how I would feel about it. But let me tell you that by the end I could feel my eyesight getting a little hazy, and the songs really ended up touching me. To say that they "went" with the book is not saying enough, because as you keep progressing and becoming more immersed with the characters and storyline, the songs and lyrics make you feel more (if that makes sense). My favorite songs were Maybe Someday, I'm In Trouble, Hold On To You, and Let It Begin. The best part for me is that a couple days after I finished the book and went back to hear the songs (today actually), I found myself flash backing to the parts of the book that referenced the music and overall what was happening between Sydney and Ridge.

I did go back and give this a 4.5 on Goodreads because I felt that even though I really enjoyed the book as a whole, there were some plot line flaws that I couldn't deal with. One for example was the fact that Sydney was described as crying for every little thing. At first, I could understand why, but afterwards it got to be a bit unbearable. I would catch myself skimming past her sections when major events were happening because I knew that 85% of the time her immediate reaction would be crying or wiping her tears away. I have no idea how she did not run out of tears, honestly. Another thing, that fit but didn't quite fit for me was the instant connection between Sydney and Ridge. I didn't feel as though Sydney went through a "recovery process" from getting her heart broken by her ex-boyfriend, Hunter, in the beginning of the story. Her almost instant switch in feelings and affection from Hunter to Ridge (especially after she had spent a good ~2 years with Hunter) seemed sudden.

I know a couple bloggers and readers have had issues with this book and other Colleen Hoover books for various reasons, but based off of my experience and my likability of how much I enjoyed reading Maybe Someday I would definitely recommend this to anyone who's looking to dive into a New Adult novel. I would 100% encourage readers to listen to the soundtrack and the songs as they come across in the book, because even though I didn't think it was that big of a deal in the beginning, it does help you get more in tune with the characters. I hope to read other Colleen Hoover books in the near future, and see if I enjoy them just as much as this one. Have you read Maybe Someday? What did you think about it? Let me know and I hope you have a good and productive upcoming week! :)

*Link to music: www.maybesomedaysoundtrack.com
-Alex

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

what are you looking for?