Let's Get Lost Review

Sunday, October 12, 2014

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1401055062l/18812437.jpg

I'm back once again! Sorry about that, but I had a really important test last Thursday. So once I finished up reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, I dived right into studying. The life of a college student...but I made it out alive! Since then I have finished one other book, Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, but unfortunately I didn't have time to sit down and write out a blog post. Good thing though, is that I think my Goodreads Review does a decent job at explaining my feelings and thoughts, so if you want to check it out it's on there!

Today I managed to finish Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid, primarily because it was due soon through my library's eBook system, so it got pushed up to the top of my TBR pile. I had heard a little bit about this book, largely that it had to do with road-tripping and so I thought why not?! I've been in a wanderlust mood where all I want to do is be able to travel, whether by air or auto, fingers skimming through the wind, and being lost in another place altogether- yeah, you can see why I didn't really question picking this up.




Let's Get Lost  deals with all these things, through the voice of five different narrators- the main one being Leila, the character who ties everyone together through her road-trip to see the Northern Lights. Along her way, she meets four other travelers or people whom she passes in this trip of self-discovery, those being Hudson, Bree, Elliot, and Sonia (in that order). You don't really get too much information about Leila or why she's going on this trip, not until the very end of the book, but interacting with each of these people throughout her trip greatly impacts her, each one's message and life story resonating with Leila. Simultaneously, Leila is able to teach them as well; about how to not give up, always holding on to love, or forgiving and forgetting when it comes to your loved ones. Needless to say each person that comes across Leila builds upon her grand cross-country experience, and as a reader you get an insight into each unique story.

I had a bit of a difficult time rating this story, giving it a 3.75/4 on Goodreads. I usually don't use complex numbers in my ratings but with this one I felt as though merely giving it 3 stars wasn't enough but I wasn't sure that a 4 was what I felt overall. I thought it was a good book, but not a great book. I was expecting a lot of feels or for me to really fall for this wonderful storyline, but I felt as though the characters lacked making me unable to deeply connect with them. When a story leaves you wanting for more, when its characters continue to linger in your mind- that's when I know I loved and cherished a book. I was looking forward to loving this one so much and taking away some amazing quotes and characters but it just didn't do it for me. Funny enough when I finished, it came to me that this could be the Young Adult version of The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom- except I really enjoyed Albom's book more.

There were some memorable and heartfelt passages in Let's Get Lost, don't get me wrong, but nothing spectacular that moved me. I'm also not too sure if I was on-board with Leila's life story, it just didn't really click with me. It might be because the book was a bit short and each character's story was only seven chapters long, that in that short amount of pages I didn't get enough. I can see other readers disagreeing with me on that, but what can I say? Some writing gets me, and other times it's just not quite there. I might change my thoughts/rating to a more definitive status later on because I don't think I've been in the contemporary sort of mood lately. So, that could have influenced me in not being immersed into the storyline.

Nevertheless, if you're looking for a sweet and heartfelt contemporary Young Adult book (that's a mouth full!) then I would recommend you to pick this one up! Let me know your thoughts on Let's Get Lost if you've read it, or if you're thinking about picking this up soon!
-Alex 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

what are you looking for?