Dare You To Review

Thursday, November 20, 2014

http://www.katielmcgarry.com/image.axd?picture=2012%2F12%2FDare-You-To-9780373210633_SHC_FC.jpg

This is how it's done people! A couple of days ago I did a review for Katie McGarry's first book, Pushing the Limits, where I gushed about how much I loved it. Now, that I've finished the second book in the series, Dare You To, I can't decide which one I love more! I have a suspicious feeling that the Pushing the Limits series by McGarry will become a new favorite when it comes to contemporary/romance, because it's just that good.

Dare You To picks up from Beth in the first book and introduces a new character, Ryan. From Pushing the Limits you know a little bit about Beth; from her dark hair, grungy look and dirty mouth she doesn't have an easy time making friends or staying out of trouble. In this second installment we learn more about Beth's past life, getting to see from her point of view how tough it has been these last couple of years when your father abandons you and your mother is an alcoholic with a dead beat boyfriend. What Beth needs in her life is stability and love, things that she's never really had. When her Uncle Scott comes out of nowhere and gains custody over her, she might actually have a chance to regain back all these things and get a fresh slate at life. Ryan is the typical baseball jock, who lives and breathes the sport. His life is consumed by the game so that he can ultimately graduate high school and go pro. From the outside, you wouldn't be able to tell that anything is wrong in Ryan's life- he's perfect- but stepping into his life for a day you would be able to see all the cracks surrounding his mother, his strict and overbearing father and his brother who has stopped talking to the family. When Uncle Scott comes back into town with Beth in tow, he asks Ryan for his help to befriend her and show her around. Little does Scott know that they've encountered each other before all based around a bet that Ryan and his friends made regarding Beth. But maybe that dare will be the one to save them both.



Writing that summary just made me fall in love with the characters all over again. I absolutely love that Katie McGarry writes such extensive plots about her characters, there's no instalove or sudden romances that occur within the span of 1 or 2 days. She really builds everything up, so that readers know their characters, what's going on in their minds, what's in their thoughts, their fears and goals...just everything. And for being a contemporary that is something that I have rarely experienced, the majority of books in that genre being fast-paced or primarily predicable. The words are fluid and the writing touches your heart- it's actually really good writing that snatches up all your attention and sucks you directly into the story. Yeah, this is some good stuff I promise.

I can't wait to read the third book in the series, Crash into You. I'm not sure if I will have enough time this month because I'm kinda backed up at the moment with books I have checked out and on my TBR, but it's definitely on the top of my list! I gave Dare You To 5/5 stars on Goodreads. Let me know if you also fell in love with this book or have read any other ones in the series! Happy reading!
-Alex

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

what are you looking for?